Shil's Eberron Game

Private board for a 3.5e D&D Eberron game

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

More NPC Interactions

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: More NPC Interactions   Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:54 pm

The day after the group moves into the new house, while decorating and other decisions are still to take place:

There's a knock on the door. Whoever opens it finds a very familiar-looking gnome standing on the doorstep. "Hey!" says Flim Turen, with a bright smile. "So you guys are back! Excellent! Sharn just isn't the same without my favorite group of adventurers here."

"Anyway, can I come in?" Even before the reply, Flim is walking forward. "So, tell me - what's new with you guys? How'd you like the new place? Heard you got Brelish citizenships and all. Well, except Gareth. And where'd you get those rakshasa you're getting stuffed? You know, I've never heard of that being done by ... well, anyone. And you got a mind flayer stuffed there too! Very impressive. So ... what's up?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://eberrongame.goodbb.net
Leonis

Number of posts : 746

PostSubject: Re: More NPC Interactions   Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:02 pm

Gareth opens the door, and seeing Flim is happy that nobody else is around. "Come on in Flim...by the way, while it is no secret, would you please not publish the location of our home? We would prefer to make it as difficult as possible for our enemies to find out where we live." Ushering Flim to the meeting room (we will have one of these) he begins speaking with him.

"The new place is not bad. We are right now organizing everything and trying to keep Luna from putting hay on the floor." Flim can see that Gareth is not joking. "As for the Rakshasa, we farmed them off the skin of a few. You probably want to hear the story don't you? But first, tell us what is new with Sharn...with Daask, Boromier, politics in general"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: More NPC Interactions   Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:32 am

Gareth wrote:
Gareth opens the door, and seeing Flim is happy that nobody else is around. "Come on in Flim...by the way, while it is no secret, would you please not publish the location of our home? We would prefer to make it as difficult as possible for our enemies to find out where we live." Ushering Flim to the meeting room (we will have one of these) he begins speaking with him.

"The new place is not bad. We are right now organizing everything and trying to keep Luna from putting hay on the floor." Flim can see that Gareth is not joking. "As for the Rakshasa, we farmed them off the skin of a few. You probably want to hear the story don't you? But first, tell us what is new with Sharn...with Daask, Boromier, politics in general"

Flim looks around with interest as he enters, grinning at the sight of a stuffed mindflayer. After settling down in the living room, he says, "I'm afraid there'll be a mention of you folks having moved in here, just because it's really newsworthy. But even if the KC didn't mention it, nobody wanting to find you would have any real trouble. You moved into a high society area, about as high as you can get short of Upper Central and Skyway, and you're the only still functional adventurers in Sharn to do so. Privacy and anonymity isn't happening for you guys. Believe me."

"As for what's new with Sharn, you've only been gone about 2 weeks, I believe, so not much. Elections took place on the 9th, as always. Daask and Boromar are still at it, with Daask making a little bit more of a push in the last 3-4 days. I'm betting they got new reinforcements in from Droaam or wherever they get them. Still, it'll take a while before they recover to the position they were in 4-5 months ago. Nothing really new politically, other than the one big story about the Aundairan ambassador disappearing. Well, one of them. Helais ir'Lantar disappeared around the time you folks left town, give or take a day. His twin Alais has announced a big reward for any news about him. I believe they called in some serious divination help, but no good. Might be something you guys could be interested in. That's pretty much it."

"So," he concludes, "What have you been up to? And yes, I do want to hear the story. The Guardian Angels leave Sharn for 2 weeks and come back with a couple of dead rakshasas? You've got to have something juicy for me there."
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: More NPC Interactions   Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:53 pm

Gareth listens with interest to the stories, making note of the key points - such as Daask's reinforcements. Gareth begins recanting the highlights of the groups recent adventures, leaving out specific information like the location of the final battle, the losing of his paladin abilities & Kizmet, and any personal details as it relates to other group members.

"So, what questions do you have?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: More NPC Interactions   Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:53 pm

Gareth wrote:
"So, what questions do you have?"

Flim, who has been listening with great interest, produces and flips open a notebook. "Just two. Could you cover all of that slowly? And this all goes back to that Xen'drik trip and the trouble you had afterwards, right?"

As he speaks, he is scribbling very fast in some form of shorthand, not even bothering to look down at the pad. "You people really do have the best adventures. This could make a great series of stories, you know." Flim stops for a moment, thinks for a bit, and then says, "Actually, I do have another question. Would you consider letting us turn your adventures into a regular column in the Chronicle?"
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: More NPC Interactions   Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:24 am

Admin wrote:
Flim, who has been listening with great interest, produces and flips open a notebook. "Just two. Could you cover all of that slowly? And this all goes back to that Xen'drik trip and the trouble you had afterwards, right?"

As he speaks, he is scribbling very fast in some form of shorthand, not even bothering to look down at the pad. "You people really do have the best adventures. This could make a great series of stories, you know." Flim stops for a moment, thinks for a bit, and then says, "Actually, I do have another question. Would you consider letting us turn your adventures into a regular column in the Chronicle?"

Seeing Flim's eagerness Gareth replies "This all relates back to the Xen'drik trip, and the reason I can tell you so much is because it is over. That is also one of the reasons I cannot agree to a 'regular column'" Gareth pauses for a second "For one, our stories are inconsistant in their timing; we do not know when our next holy quest will be - it may be tomorrow or it may never happen. The second, and my most important consideration is the security factors. We cannot give you all the details to a story, always, because it may hurt someone or hinder our quest. We give you what we can, and our relationship asks that you respect that - otherwise we could not have this kind of relationship." Gareth pauses for another moment, "The last thing is, we are a two way street. I am not giving you this information to be famous. Frankly, if you never posted our names or faces we would be happy with this. We are doing it so that 1) the stories will be correct and 2) you can help us when we need it."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: More NPC Interactions   Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:37 pm

Gareth wrote:
Seeing Flim's eagerness Gareth replies "This all relates back to the Xen'drik trip, and the reason I can tell you so much is because it is over. That is also one of the reasons I cannot agree to a 'regular column'" Gareth pauses for a second "For one, our stories are inconsistant in their timing;

"That's not a problem," says Flim quickly. "I'm thinking of something like a weekly column, and from what you've told me, the Xen'drik trip itself would fill up a good 3-4 columns. With everything that happened after that, we' already have enough material for a couple of months.

Quote :
we do not know when our next holy quest will be - it may be tomorrow or it may never happen.

"You guys only doing holy quests now? I thought the rest weren't as devout as you are."

Quote :
The second, and my most important consideration is the security factors. We cannot give you all the details to a story, always, because it may hurt someone or hinder our quest. We give you what we can, and our relationship asks that you respect that - otherwise we could not have this kind of relationship." Gareth pauses for another moment, "The last thing is, we are a two way street. I am not giving you this information to be famous. Frankly, if you never posted our names or faces we would be happy with this. We are doing it so that 1) the stories will be correct and 2) you can help us when we need it."

"Oh, sure. It's not like we'd actually have the space to devote to a detailed coverage of everything you did, or do, so there'd be a lot to leave out anyway. Omitting specifically what you want left out will be just fine."

"And as far as it being a two way street - absolutely. While the KC couldn't get materially involved with what you do, I can always pass along a little information that matters to what you're dealing with. If that leads to more and better stories, the editor would have no problems with it. And in your line of work, info is always handy, I know. Plus, the Chronicle is run by the Library of Zilargo, which is the best collection of knowledge on the continent bar none. Even the University of Wynarn, leave alone Morgrave Univ here in Sharn, is way behind. So I can also get reliable people back in Zilargo dig up information on things you need, in return for being allowed to write on what you're doing. Specifically whatever you're fine with the public hearing, of course."

"So - does that sound better?"
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: More NPC Interactions   Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:23 pm

Admin wrote:

"You guys only doing holy quests now? I thought the rest weren't as devout as you are."

Gareth says with a serious and matter-of-fact tone "All quests that are just and serve the greater are holy quests."

Listening to the rest of his statement, "Everything sounds good. Again, as long as you can respect an answer of 'we can't tell you, and please don't dig this particular bit up' then we can work together. My main concern is the safety of innocents."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: More NPC Interactions   Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:30 pm

Gareth wrote:
Gareth says with a serious and matter-of-fact tone "All quests that are just and serve the greater are holy quests."

Flim looks around at the others in the room to see their reactions, but says nothing.

Quote :
Listening to the rest of his statement, "Everything sounds good. Again, as long as you can respect an answer of 'we can't tell you, and please don't dig this particular bit up' then we can work together. My main concern is the safety of innocents."

"Excellent. I'll talk to the editor and get back to you about it." Flim takes his leave quickly, saying that he will stop by in a few days, once he has some idea of how the subject of the Angels' adventures will be handled in the Chronicle.

OOC: If any of the other PCs want to add something to the conversation later, we'll do so retroactively.

On to the Archierophant:

Two days after Gareth met her, an acolyte delivers a message from the Archierophant asking him to see her the next day in the morning. When Gareth arrives, he is shown into her office where, as usual, she is seated at her desk in full ceremonial regalia and armor.

“Aah, Gareth,” she says, with a smile, “Sit down.”

Once he is, she continues, “I have good news for you, as well as …potentially … good news. First, to the good news – I have communed with the Flame. Your father’s spirit is part of the Flame now. He is at peace, forever beyond the reach of Dolurrh or any evil.”
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: More NPC Interactions   Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:43 pm

Gareth enters and sits down. Upon hearing the great news, "That is the best news I could hear. That alleviates a lot of worries for me. Thank you" Breathing a sigh of relief "What is the other news?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: More NPC Interactions   Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:59 pm

Gareth wrote:
Gareth enters and sits down. Upon hearing the great news, "That is the best news I could hear. That alleviates a lot of worries for me. Thank you" Breathing a sigh of relief "What is the other news?"

Ythana nods and says dryly, with just a hint of humor, "Yes, finding out that they do not have to go to Dolurrh often does alleviate many worries for people."

She continues crisply, "As for the other news - it is more information than news, actually, and a possibility for you to consider. Tell me, have you heard of Flamekeeper Jalus Baine?" [OOC: Gareth has not]

When Gareth says that he has not, Ythana continues, "I am not surprised. Over 500 years ago, he led a group of the faithful into the depths of Sharn on a mighty task. In those days, when the light of the Flame was still relatively new to Khorvaire, the Dark Six were often worshipped openly, and temples to them were built in hidden places. When Sharn was built, an enormous temple to the Dark Six was constructed beneath the city." The distaste in her tone is evident.

"Jalus Baine was one of the finest and holiest of templars, and he would not let this darkness lurk in the depths of the city. So he collected a force and traveled to the temple, where they exterminated the worshippers and razed it to the ground. The surviving worshippers of the temple fled to a dark sanctuary they had, where they brought forth an evil force, which would have slain our people and then taken the people of Sharn. After a mighty battle, Jalus called on the Flame and sacrificed himself to destroy them. As he wished, his remaining templars buried him there, on his field of victory."

"I have pieced this information over years, since the records of the time are fragmented and unreliable. I now believe that I know the general location where Jalus rests."

She leans forward and says, "What I would like you to do is travel there and recover his remains, so that they can be enshrined as they deserve. Not only would that be an especially appropriate quest for a champion of the Flame like yourself, but I believe you will be especially interested in something that I believe was buried with Jalus. The records provide no details, but they say that Jalus wielded a holy sword known as the Endless Blade. I cannot think of anyone in Sharn in whose hands I would rather see such a blade than yours."

Ythana falls silent, clearly waiting for a response.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: More NPC Interactions   Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:16 am

OOC: I literally had to hold back a tear...and choked up, i love your game Very Happy

Gareth empathizes and nods along with Ythanna's story, disdaining all that is evil. He is shocked when he finds out he has not heard of this person, being that he has studied the religious order well enough.

Upon hearing of this holy quest, "I would have gone on this holy quest even if you did not mention this holy of weapons; and I will do this. You honor me by saying I am a worthy champion of the flame, but I feel that I am not worthy to even bear a symbol let alone a weapon that belonged to such a hero." Thinking for a brief second, "I will speak to my comrades, and ask them to come with me - if they do or don't matters not on my decision, but I think I would need them. Please let me know all the details that you can. What you think I may expect...undead, priests, all of the above, demons, evil outsiders."

OOC: Gareth says he is not worthy of the sword, I am drooling.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: More NPC Interactions   Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:25 pm

Gareth wrote:
OOC: I literally had to hold back a tear...and choked up, i love your game Very Happy

You really like these "carrying the light into the dark places of the world" bits, eh? The way I figure, without the shining heroism and unredeemable evil, the shades of gray I like wouldn't have much impact, and vice versa.

Quote :
Gareth empathizes and nods along with Ythanna's story, disdaining all that is evil. He is shocked when he finds out he has not heard of this person, being that he has studied the religious order well enough.

Home schooling, man!

Quote :
Upon hearing of this holy quest, "I would have gone on this holy quest even if you did not mention this holy of weapons; and I will do this. You honor me by saying I am a worthy champion of the flame, but I feel that I am not worthy to even bear a symbol let alone a weapon that belonged to such a hero."

Ythana looks at Gareth and says, with complete seriousness, "I think you're underestimating yourself, Gareth. What you have done recently was a mighty task, and the Flame sees fit to grant you both the powers of a cleric and an Exorcist. That is not lightly granted."

She continues, her voice turning slightly sympathetic, "I understand that you are distraught by the loss of your paladinhood ... or rather, the powers of a paladin, but as you know, that was no fault of yours, but rather the manipulations of a demon. Do not blame or consider yourself the lesser for it. If you are to become a paladin again, the Flame will allow it when it chooses. And if not, remember, the path of the paladin is a holy one, but it is not the only creditable one in the service of the Flame." As she speaks, Gareth remembers that Ythana herself is high in the service of the Flame, but isn't a paladin herself.

"Still," she says, "Your humility does you credit."

OOC: Humility is a new thing for Gareth. Evidently getting screwed by a rakshasa leads to character growth Very Happy

Quote :
Thinking for a brief second, "I will speak to my comrades, and ask them to come with me - if they do or don't matters not on my decision, but I think I would need them. Please let me know all the details that you can. What you think I may expect...undead, priests, all of the above, demons, evil outsiders."

"I appreciate your resolve, but I hope they will accompany you. The depths are not a safe place, and who knows if anything of the evil Jalus died to destroy has remained. It is difficult to be sure, because the records are so old and fragmentary. Even details about Jalus himself are very limited. As I said, all I know of his sword is its name and that it was a holy weapon."

Ythana leans back and steeples her fingers, while considering something silently. Then she says, "Give me a week. I will see again what I can decipher about the event and about what it was they fought. I also need to find a reliable guide for you, since it is a large area, somewhere within which I believe Jalus was interred. You will need to do some searching. Also, I will cast a divination or two to try and find guidance for you."

"Again, I am pleased that you have agreed, but then I expected you would. Is there anything else you would like me to do or any questions you have?"

Quote :
OOC: Gareth says he is not worthy of the sword, I am drooling.

As if we didn't know that already!
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: More NPC Interactions   Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:40 pm

Admin wrote:

You really like these "carrying the light into the dark places of the world" bits, eh? The way I figure, without the shining heroism and unredeemable evil, the shades of gray I like wouldn't have much impact, and vice versa.

Man, bringing the light to the darkness is the stuff that dreams are made of for me. Especially as a paladin! It's the iconic duty.

Admin wrote:

"Still," she says, "Your humility does you credit."

OOC: Humility is a new thing for Gareth. Evidently getting screwed by a rakshasa leads to character growth Very Happy
Gareth is very humble, except he has to fight the ego of his demon master - me.

Admin wrote:
"I appreciate your resolve, but I hope they will accompany you. The depths are not a safe place, and who knows if anything of the evil Jalus died to destroy has remained. It is difficult to be sure, because the records are so old and fragmentary. Even details about Jalus himself are very limited. As I said, all I know of his sword is its name and that it was a holy weapon."

"I am sure this holy quest is incredibly dangerous, otherwise you would probably send others. I am sure they will come. While many of my group members say they prefer to do nothing, they also get incredibly bored." Pausing for a second, "Besides, I have a feeling we will get in trouble with some evil group and will need to leave Sharn for a little bit," Pausing again, and thinking of Lalia, "though there are things that I miss terribly when I must leave".

Admin wrote:

Ythana leans back and steeples her fingers, while considering something silently. Then she says, "Give me a week. I will see again what I can decipher about the event and about what it was they fought. I also need to find a reliable guide for you, since it is a large area, somewhere within which I believe Jalus was interred. You will need to do some searching. Also, I will cast a divination or two to try and find guidance for you."

"When you find this guide, I would also like to run an interview with him under magical scrutiny. The places we are going to are tough and we not only need more powerful guides who can stand through the rigours, but ones we can trust"

Admin wrote:

"Again, I am pleased that you have agreed, but then I expected you would. Is there anything else you would like me to do or any questions you have?"

Rising up "As of now, I do not Arc Hierophant. I will speak with my group members immiediately. Thank you"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: More NPC Interactions   Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:32 pm

Gareth wrote:
"Besides, I have a feeling we will get in trouble with some evil group and will need to leave Sharn for a little bit,"

Prophetic much Wink?

Quote :
"When you find this guide, I would also like to run an interview with him under magical scrutiny. The places we are going to are tough and we not only need more powerful guides who can stand through the rigours, but ones we can trust"

"Certainly. I am thinking of this more from the point of view of someone who can lead you into the general area of the Depths I believe Jalus' resting place is, and let you do whatever exploration is needed, rather than actually doing any searching - or battle, if needed - himself, but reliability is certainly something I want to ensure."

Quote :
Rising up "As of now, I do not Arc Hierophant. I will speak with my group members immiediately. Thank you"

"Go with grace. I will send you a message when I have more news for you."

OOC: The message from the Archierophant comes after the Daask affair, so we may deal with it in-game, depending on when we play next. We'll see.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More NPC Interactions   

Back to top Go down

More NPC Interactions
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shil's Eberron Game :: Back in Sharn-
Jump to: