Shil's Eberron Game

Private board for a 3.5e D&D Eberron game

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Two Weapon Fighting

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Six of Six

Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Two Weapon Fighting   Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:07 pm

Here is a good spot to start this. What would you do to make two weapon fighting work?
As area of effectiveness I picture extreme strength with two handed weapons, extreme dex with ranged weapons and high str and dex with two weapon fighting. At least thats how the high fantasy fiction goes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1299

PostSubject: Re: Two Weapon Fighting   Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:30 am

One of the first things that comes to mind is to throw in a +1 shield bonus to AC for each TWF fighting feat you have. So TWF would give you +1, having both TWF and ITWF would give you a +2, and so on. It's not as good defensively as actually going sword and board, but it does improve two-weapon fighting as a concept.

That would put make TWF a worse damage-dealer than using a two-hander but better than sword and board, and would make it worse at defence than sword and board but better than just using a two-hander.

Might also be worth dropping the -2 penalty for fighting with two weapons, but that, like the half damage with the off-hand weapon just replicates monsters with multiple natural weapons (who get half damage on secondary weapons and attack at -2 with secondary weapons if they have Multiattack) so well that I don't want to change it.

Wait - that gives me an idea. Make only the off-hand weapon take a -2 penalty, instead of both weapons, since that's what happens with monsters and Multiattack too. Their primar weapon doesn't suffer, but only the secondary ones do.

I think a combination of the above two (+1 shield bonus per TWF feat and only the off-hand weapon taking -2 to hit) would work well to make it a viable option.

What do you think? Since this isn't something I've really worked out or decided on, any feedback or other ideas help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://eberrongame.goodbb.net
Leonis

Number of posts : 746

PostSubject: Re: Two Weapon Fighting   Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:08 pm

Except multiattack is a feat that removes the negatives. A monster doesn't have to have that feat and thusly would take the negatives.

I think the orignal changes (defensive) are good. But leave the -2 penalty. Maybe allow for a feat (ambidexterity anyone) to remove that pantly. That would be the monster equiv of multiattack.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1299

PostSubject: Re: Two Weapon Fighting   Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:25 pm

Gareth wrote:
Except multiattack is a feat that removes the negatives. A monster doesn't have to have that feat and thusly would take the negatives.

Multiattack doesn't remove the penalty. It drops the normal penalty (-5) down to -2, just like Two-Weapon Fighting drops the normal penalty for dual-wielding to -2.

Quote :
I think the orignal changes (defensive) are good. But leave the -2 penalty. Maybe allow for a feat (ambidexterity anyone) to remove that pantly. That would be the monster equiv of multiattack.

For now, I think the +2 shield bonus per feat is good enough, and the -2 penalty remains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://eberrongame.goodbb.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two Weapon Fighting   

Back to top Go down

Two Weapon Fighting
Page 1 of 1