Shil's Eberron Game

Private board for a 3.5e D&D Eberron game

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Cross on Over to the Other Side

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:56 pm

Gareth wrote:
I dont care about legal authority i care about moral one.

Moral authority comes first, but legal authority still matters for a paladin.

Quote :
Where does it say that being a fence, thief, liar and drug runner are not death penalties by flame standards?

Since all of the Silver Flame standards aren't spelled out anywhere, as usual it comes down to the Voice of the Flame itself, i.e. me Very Happy I'm telling you, as I've mentioned before, that being a fence, thief, liar and drug runner are not punishable by death according to the Church of the Silver Flame.

Remember, the rule of thumb is that a crime is NOT assumed to be punishable by death unless specifically called out as such. Considering how many varieties of crimes there are and how few are actually punishable by death, the default is that it's not.

For more detailed treatment, take a look at the Sharn book and the chapter on "Law and Order." It specifically lists the results of breaking the law (pgs. 127-132) and the appropriate punishments (132-134) under the Galifar Code of Justice. Breland follows the Galifar Code, as does Thrane and the Church of the Silver Flame, for the most part.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://eberrongame.goodbb.net
Leonis

Number of posts : 746

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:52 pm

Would you call stealing an evil act? Would you call peddling drugs to kids (or helping someone do so) an evil act?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:57 pm

Gareth wrote:
Would you call stealing an evil act? Would you call peddling drugs to kids (or helping someone do so) an evil act?

Both are evil. Neither is punishable by death, which is true of many evil acts. Legally or morally.

Of course, I'm referring to the campaign world here.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: The All-Seeing Eye of Cyäegha   Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:12 pm

As his facsimile suggested, Nameless focuses on the image he saw and tries to will himself there. For a couple of seconds, nothing happens, and the hand on his shoulder tightens slightly, as Nameless2 says quietly, "Focus and concentrate."

Nameless tries to do so, and suddenly, the image leaps vividly into his mind again. There's a momentary sense of stomach-twisting dislocation, and then Nameless feels the temperature around him plunge and the air grow heavier. He opens his eyes ... and gazes into the green pupil of the All-Seeing Eye of Cyäegha.

Nameless and Nameless2 hang in the air in front of the Eye, which stretches over fifty feet in height. Above, below and around it stretch the craggy stone walls of a giant cavern, and Nameless somehow knows that they are deep within a lone mountain which forms a single layer of Xoriat. The Eye is supported by a forest of tentacles emanating from it, thin in comparison to the orb but nearly as thick as Nameless is tall. Crawling among the tentacles are dozens of creatures that look like a mixture of toad, ape and worm, with transparent bodies, their organs gleaming beneath a layer of slick, leathery skin. Some of the creatures notice the two intruders and gape upwards in bufanoid confusion.

They are not the only ones that notice. Cyäegha's pupil contracts momentarily and then a tentacle lashes upwards. Before it can hit, Nameless2 darts forward, frantically waving his arms. Nameless feels a momentary prickling in his head and realizes Nameless2 is addressing the giant creature telepathically, and then his head throbs with a loud buzzing as Cyäegha responds, tentacle still raised threateningly.

The conversation between the two continues for the better part of a minute and then the tentacle drops. The pupil expands and contracts slightly, and Nameless realizes that Cyäegha is laughing, or a vague equivalent to it. Nameless2 turns to him and Nameless hears his voice in his head, communicating far more quickly telepathically than he could via physical speech. "I've explained your situation. I don't think it could actually hurt you in this form, but I didn't want to risk it, and luckily, Cyäegha seems amused. Cyäegha's one of the Great Old Ones, so it's never been to Eberron. Actually, it never leaves this cavern, but exists here forever, watching the layers of Xoriat or sleeping for centuries. Just about nothing visits here, so this is slightly diverting for it. Anyway, try not to piss it off. Cyäegha tends to be a little, well, irritable, and..."

The communication is cut off by a steady pounding in Nameless' head. He feels a gigantic will bent towards him, one which almost never has to deal with language and communication. Waves of hate envelop Nameless, but he realizes, partly because of his knowledge of Xoriat and partly through some sort of intellectual osmosis from his presence before it, that there is nothing personal or, strangely, even any real emotion to it. Cyäegha's consciousness emanates what would count as the vilest of evil on Eberron, but it does so naturally, like a fire gives off heat or water rolls downhill, with no thought or intent but simply because that is what it is, beyond artificial laws of morality.

The pounding sensation slowly resolves itself into words. "What. Desire. You. Hu-man. ?" After a momentary pause, it adds. "See. You. Through. Eye. Do. Wish. ?"
Back to top Go down
Nameless

Number of posts : 307

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:10 pm

Admin wrote:
Some of the creatures notice the two intruders and gape upwards in bufanoid confusion.

I don't believe that Bufanoid is even a word. Are you trying to horrify us with your abuses of grammar and vocabulary?

Story Hour wrote:
While Six is doing the above, the result of the change in colors on the wall becomes evident. The central black portion is now a huge pupil, twenty feet in width, while the yellow area around it forms the iris. The long wall is now spanned by a fifty-foot long eye.

Luna sniffs at the changing wall and doesn’t smell anything different about it, so she presumes there’s not actually a creature coming through it. Nevertheless, she growls at it in warning.

While she is doing so, the eye begins to shrink, giving the watchers a sense that it is due to an increase in distance. As it does, they all see that it is surrounded by a pale gray expanse of flesh, with creases in it that are as long as some of them are tall. Within seconds, the eye is half its original size, but it still stretches twenty-five feet in length.

Then it stops, and swivels slightly, seeming to notice the room and all of the adventurers. The eye focuses, and all of them have a sense of a gigantic mind focusing on you. It is not malign or inimical in any way; it is just totally and utterly alien to their conception of reality - and very mildly curious. For a moment, each of them realizes exactly what a butterfly (admittedly, a very intelligent butterfly) feels like in the seconds before an infant pulls its wings off to see what happens. The overriding emotion for them, even for Nameless and Trillia (who have studied alternate realities but never experienced it in such close proximity), is a combination of utter fascination and complete awe.

Luna shakes off the feeling and looks around to see that everyone else is standing stock-still and motionless, staring at the wall. After a couple of loud growls evince no response, she hurriedly drops a dispel magic in the area, hoping to remove whatever it is that affected her companions. The spellcasting has no visible effect, her companions still remaining spellbound.

Noticing motion on the wall, Luna looks back to see that the eye is simultaneously moving away and sliding by, as if the wall were a giant window through which the group were looking out at the creature, whatever it is. As the eye passes by, the wall’s color and texture begins to fade back to its original translucence. There is a brief vision of a gigantic bulk and waving tentacles more than a dozen feet across, and then the vision fades, leaving just the bare pinkish wall.

The rest of the group feels the fascination effect wear off suddenly and are back in control of their faculties. Trillia shakes her head and then quickly walks up to the wall to touch it. Then she looks back at Nameless and says excitedly, “Is it just me or did we just get a glimpse into Xoriat?”

"I yes, I desire Knowledge and... Wait have we met before?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:15 pm

Nameless wrote:
I don't believe that Bufanoid is even a word. Are you trying to horrify us with your abuses of grammar and vocabulary?

You're right - it's not a real word. That was a little side reference to Karl Edward Wagner's character Kane (one of the better fantasy anti-heroes, IMO). There's a Kane story where he fights a bunch of frog-men and Wagner coins the term 'bufanoid' for them and throws it around till one wants to scream. It's not one of the better Kane tales, some of which are really good.

And yes, inserting obscure references in the writeups is a way I amuse myself. It's a sickness.

Quote :
"I yes, I desire Knowledge and... Wait have we met before?"

There is a pause and then words. "Not. Know. Do." There is a pause and then more words. "Not. Do...." There's another pause and almost a sense of uncertainty, as if Cyäegha were trying to grasp and communicate a concept alien to it. "...Care?" The uncertainty passes instantly and the next word is accompanied by a wave of what Nameless can only translate as cosmic amusement. "Knowledge."

Cyäegha's pupil expands suddenly, and Nameless feels the pressure inside his head increase exponentially. There is a moment of intense pain and then everything goes black for a moment. The pain and the darkness disappear just as quickly, though the feeling of great pressure does remain, and are replaced by a dizzying flood of images, which whirl by before he can focus enough to notice anything about them. It takes what seems like minutes of intense concentration before the alienist can begin to make sense of the images. What is most helpful in doing so is the gradual awareness that he is sharing part of the consciousness of Cyäegha, and that Cyäegha is not just running through the plethora of images concurrently by is simultaneously aware of and gazing at each.

Once he has worked out what is going on, Nameless is able to very slowly begin to focus on the individual scenes and cycle through them, one by one, even if only for a second or two. The majority of the scenes look out at parts of Xoriat, but many look out at the other planes of existence, including the material plane and Eberron. Nameless recognizes fleeting images - the Demon Wastes, the swamps of the Shadow Marches, ships sailing through an archipalego that might be the Lhazaar Principalities, even a quick look at the towers of Sharn. Intermixed with them are scenes of battle involving celestial and demonic hosts that must come from Shavarath, a gleaming crystalline forest below the brilliant sun of Irian, the endless flaming sea of Fernia. And constantly dancing through and around these images, overwhelming them in number but separate, just as the plane itself is bound away from all others in its insane dance, are the infinite layers of Xoriat.

For Nameless, it seems as if long minutes pass, and as time flies by, he gains more and more control of what he sees. Or perhaps control is the wrong term, since the feeling of growing knowledge and power is intermixed with the sense of being carried along on an irresistible current. Eventually, Nameless realizes that - like Cyäegha - he is not just cycling through the images but able to hold more and more of them in view at once. And as he simultaneously views first a handful, then dozens, and then scores of scenes, he gradually realizes that he is not just watching multiple points across the multiverse spatially, but that he is doing so temporally. Scenes on Eberron float into existence that he knows for a fact occurred centuries ago. Nameless' consciousness hovers over the crowning of Galifar I, a battle of the Dragon-Fiend wars, and the flight of an airship whose speed convinces him that it is something not yet invented on Eberron. And it does so simultaneously, while also watching the various planes. Nameless realizes that he, presumably the first of all humans to do so, is in some way experiencing what omnipresence might feel like.

The combination of exultation, power, awe and - strangely - fear, which envelops Nameless prevents him from realizing what else is going on, for a few seconds. As he gazes out on these various scenes, he finds the constant pressure on his consciousness fading, and he realizes belatedly that so too is his sense of identity. Whether it be because he has been overextending himself, or because of the manner of contact with the consciousness of Cyäegha, Nameless finds his awareness of himself as himself, as the "I" that is seeing these scenes, is steadily fading. It is an indescribable process, like what a sand castle being washed away by the advancing sea might experience if every grain of sand that it contains were conscious and inextricably linked.

Reflexively, Nameless struggles against the inevitable dissolution, but he has all the opportunity of the aforementioned sand castle to resist the process. More and more quickly, his vision falls apart and flakes away, and with it goes his consciousness. Everything goes dark.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   

Back to top Go down

Cross on Over to the Other Side
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shil's Eberron Game :: Back in Sharn-
Jump to: