Shil's Eberron Game

Private board for a 3.5e D&D Eberron game

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Spec that Dragon!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Six of Six

Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Spec that Dragon!   Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:58 pm

When we fought Big X there was an elevated level of surprise at the table that he was as tough as he was. This I was suprised at. I would like you to spec the dragon. What do you think it will be coming with.

Here is the base line Black Dragon Wyrm.
Speed 60ft, swim 60ft flying 200ft clumsy. AC:39 DR 20/magic SR: 26
13thSoccerer HD 34d12+(238)avg459 Stats 35 10 25 18 19 18 Breath Weapon 22d4(DC 34) Frightful Presence DC 31 Initiavite 0
Skill points 1020 to divide amongst the skills. [I keep missing the line as to what the max would be.] Feats 12. [We know area effedt and maximize with the breath weapon are two.]
BaB/Grapple +34/+58 Attack +42[I thought the Str bonus is 12 where did the +4 go?]
Bite +42(4d6+12), 2 Claws +37(2d8+6), 2 Wings +37(2d6+6) 1Tail Slap +37(2d8+6) or 1 Crush +42(4d6+18 ) or 1 Tail Sweep +42(2d6+18 )

Mage Armor raises the AC to 43.
Could it have panacea on contingency, either as spell or an item?
Would it have cleric, druid or artificer levels to have access to the spell lists? An additional 5 levels of artificer would allow it to do anything with common magic.

What else do you think or know it might have.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1299

PostSubject: Re: Spec that Dragon!   Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:08 pm

Six of Six wrote:
I would like you to spec the dragon.

I presume that's aimed at the other players and not me. After all...

Quote :
What do you think it will be coming with.

I know what it will be coming with Smile

Quote :
Skill points 1020 to divide amongst the skills. [I keep missing the line as to what the max would be.]

Not that high. If it has 34 HD and an 18 Int, with the normal dragon skill pt allotment (6 + Int per HD) and my bonus 2 skill pts per HD, you have 37 x 12 = 444 skill points. It could have a max of 37 ranks in a skill.

Quote :
Attack +42[I thought the Str bonus is 12 where did the +4 go?]

It takes -4 to hit for being huge. Size sometimes matters.

Quote :
Could it have panacea on contingency, either as spell or an item?
Would it have cleric, druid or artificer levels to have access to the spell lists? An additional 5 levels of artificer would allow it to do anything with common magic.

Man, wouldn't it be fun if the dragon was a real druid?

Quote :
What else do you think or know it might have.

I'm curious to see everyone's replies. I'll let you guys in on all the little secrets after next session.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://eberrongame.goodbb.net
Leonis

Number of posts : 746

PostSubject: Re: Spec that Dragon!   Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:33 pm

I think shil gives all his creatures either 75% or 100% hit points. Shil you gave us this information before - would you remind us?

Dragons are always written up as base sorcerer spell levels (as you remember sorcerers are written up as some kind of decendents or connected somehow to dragons). So lets assume he is doing sorc/wizard. If we start thinking druid, cleric, then we can go psionicist, etc.

Shil I dont have my books on me (I am in colorado on my g/fs computer) - those spell casting levels for dragons are natural - meaning they are not sorcerer class levels, just they can cast AS a sorcerer?

I doubt he gave this dragon levels in a PRC (maybe barbarian so I will have calm emotions).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1299

PostSubject: Re: Spec that Dragon!   Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:19 pm

Gareth wrote:
I think shil gives all his creatures either 75% or 100% hit points. Shil you gave us this information before - would you remind us?

Almost always 75%, and sometimes average hit points. I've never done 100%. This is 75% of rolled hp, so 6s on all d8s, 3s on all d4s, an average of 7.5 on d10, etc.

So if this dragon has 34d12 + 238 hit points (and that's a big "if"), 75% would put it at 544 hp.

Quote :
Dragons are always written up as base sorcerer spell levels (as you remember sorcerers are written up as some kind of decendents or connected somehow to dragons). So lets assume he is doing sorc/wizard. If we start thinking druid, cleric, then we can go psionicist, etc.

Druid or cleric isn't remotely like psionicist in this campaign. Remember, from an in-game viewpoint, psionics is incredibly rare, and from an OOC viewpoint, I essentially never use them. You've fought one psion thus far in 75 sessions. You've fought lots of clerics and a couple of druids.

Note that I'm not saying this dragon has cleric or druid casting, but simply pointing out that would a lot likelier than psion.

Quote :
Shil I dont have my books on me (I am in colorado on my g/fs computer) - those spell casting levels for dragons are natural - meaning they are not sorcerer class levels, just they can cast AS a sorcerer?

Correct. A dragon with casting as a 13th lvl sorcerer basically gets the same amount of spells known and spells per day as a Sor13 does, but no familiar and no improvement in hit dice, saves, etc. But if he does get Sorcerer class levels later, they stack with the natural casting ability, i.e. a dragon that naturally casts as a Sor13 and has three sorcerer class levels now casts as a Sor16.

Quote :
I doubt he gave this dragon levels in a PRC (maybe barbarian so I will have calm emotions).

This much I'll tell you - no PrC and no class levels. But there are lots of other ways to skin a cat Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://eberrongame.goodbb.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spec that Dragon!   

Back to top Go down

Spec that Dragon!
Page 1 of 1