Shil's Eberron Game

Private board for a 3.5e D&D Eberron game

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

What Lurks Beneath

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: What Lurks Beneath   Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:39 am

With the giant delver disposed of, the Angels hear no sounds of alarm from up ahead. In fact, things are deathly quiet, except for the faintest whisper of sound, carried through the rock as much as (or rather than) through the air. With their exceptional senses and previous experience, it doesn't take much time or discussion to be certain that they are hearing the sounds of dozens, maybe hundreds of creatures, a long distance away from them. The tunnel stretches away ahead of them in the direction that the sound is coming from.

OOC: The tunnel is quite large, at approximately 15 feet wide and high, so Luna can fit through it in her tendriculos form. Give me a marching order, please, with info about distances between PCs if anyone is well in advance of (or behind) the others. Also, in your next post, could you mention any spells you have up on your PC?

If/when it comes to a fight, don't forget the level-based enhancement bonuses to weapons and armor as applicable. And Mike and Dave still owe me PC sheets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://eberrongame.goodbb.net
Luna

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2006-09-21

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:50 am

I'm happy to take the front, but I seem to get in other peoples way!
Shall I take the back then?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nameless

Number of posts : 307

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:05 am

So what exactly are we doing here again and where are we? IIRC we're exploring the tunnels the Aberration left.

Nameless has his SOP spells up as listed in his rogues gallery entry.

Sure back sounds fine for Luna.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:12 am

Nameless wrote:
So what exactly are we doing here again and where are we? IIRC we're exploring the tunnels the Aberration left.

After the big attack on Sharn, there was evidence that a number of aberrations pulled back into the tunnels they came from. You were asked (mainly by Khandan Dol, the leader of the Redcloaks, who has essentially taken charge of Sharn's military forces and defense) to investigate and learn what you can about the attackers and esp. see whether another attack is on the way.

You went into the tunnels (which had evidently been eaten up into the Cogs) and proceeded below Sharn for a good hour or so, going deeper and deeper, till you're well into Khyber (i.e. Eberron version of the Underdark). You eventually encountered and slaughtered a set of runehounds and were attacked only a couple of minutes later by a pseudonatural delver. And that's where we left off.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

Number of posts : 746

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:22 pm

Since Luna is in the front Gareth will Guard the back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:35 pm

Gareth wrote:

See above. Luna is taking the back.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:29 pm

Admin wrote:
Gareth wrote:

See above. Luna is taking the back.

She asked if she should take the back. I think she can take the front - only because we are expecting more delvers? If we are not expecting more delvers she can take the back I will take the front.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Luna

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2006-09-21

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:27 pm

Whatever -- I'll take the front.
I just tend to block everyone else when I do.
As Delvers come from below ...
I'm not sure that makes a difference as to my positioning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:46 am

The group proceeds, with the tendriculos leading the way and everyone else mostly seeing her rear rather than anything of the tunnel ahead. The tunnel is not completely straight but continues in the same general direction for about a hundred feet before turning and then runs for nearly the same distance again before another turn.

As the Angels advance, the faint sounds ahead are slowly getting louder, and it's fairly clear that there must be a large open space not too far ahead. A large open space occupied by a lot of creatures.

Despite the growing sound, as Luna nears the second turning, she - and behind her, Six and Korm - picks up the faint whisper of movement just ahead. Something is moving beyond the turn in the tunnel.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:35 am

Admin wrote:
The group proceeds, with the tendriculos leading the way and everyone else mostly seeing her rear rather than anything of the tunnel ahead. The tunnel is not completely straight but continues in the same general direction for about a hundred feet before turning and then runs for nearly the same distance again before another turn.

As the Angels advance, the faint sounds ahead are slowly getting louder, and it's fairly clear that there must be a large open space not too far ahead. A large open space occupied by a lot of creatures.

Despite the growing sound, as Luna nears the second turning, she - and behind her, Six and Korm - picks up the faint whisper of movement just ahead. Something is moving beyond the turn in the tunnel.

If we have mental communications up (John can confirm this or not) I ask if Six would like to scout ahead. If not Gareth keeps an eye on the back of the group to make sure we are not flanked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nameless

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:52 pm

Gareth wrote:
If we have mental communications up (John can confirm this or not) I ask if Six would like to scout ahead. If not Gareth keeps an eye on the back of the group to make sure we are not flanked.

I have a telepathic bond prepared, if we had a chance to rest and recover our spells. I can extend it so it will last 5 hrs. I had planned on holding off casting it until we were getting close to contact, but it sounds like that point is here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Six of Six

Number of posts : 257

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:57 pm

Six will scout. be prepared for a running battle people.
If we have new spells available send in the divination spells, in particular greater prying eyes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nameless

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:48 am

Shil? Busy in India?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:51 am

Nameless wrote:
Shil? Busy in India?

Got tied up with some other stuff for a bit, and for some reason I haven't been getting updates from this thread. Anyway, on we go.

Six proceeds around the turn, moving stealthily, telling the others what he sees over the telepathic bond that Nameless set up. The tunnel stretches a little over a hundred feet before him, before turning again to the left. The sound is stronger here and there is a faintly flickering glow from around the turn.

Six only catches a glimpse of that, as his attention is drawn to the ceiling of the tunnel above him. A large section of it is moving, and after a second, he realizes that the movement comes from over two dozen small creatures, clinging to the ceiling and stealthily working their way forwards. They look like chokers, but they are smaller and thinner. And the most obvious difference is that they only have patches of skin where their eyes are supposed to be, and round open mouths topped with a sucker.

The lack of eyes clearly doesn't hurt their perceptiveness. Presumably possessing some form of blindsight, their heads turn in unison towards him and then they leap to attack.

OOC: Enemy initiative is 19. Roll your initiative and mention it in your next post. If you beat a 19, you can act before they go (but post even if you don't, so I know who goes when). Everyone besides Six is at least 20 ft around the turn behind him.

And for mechanical purposes, the creatures are a swarm.
Back to top Go down
Six of Six

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:45 am

You might as well roll. Six will head back to the group, moving or teleporting as needed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nameless

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:27 am

22 For Nameless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:21 am

Nameless wrote:
22 For Nameless.

Then you can go ahead and act before the swarm goes. And Six either, since I got a 17 for him. Six wouldn't be acting by the time Nameless does, but I presume he's transmitting info over the link.
Back to top Go down
Nameless

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:27 am

Admin wrote:
Nameless wrote:
22 For Nameless.

Then you can go ahead and act before the swarm goes. And Six either, since I got a 17 for him. Six wouldn't be acting by the time Nameless does, but I presume he's transmitting info over the link.

If the tunnel isn't larger than 20' high, Nameless will toss out a cloudkill, since Six is immune to poison. Does anyone have a wind spell that we could use to push it along faster?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:39 am

Nameless wrote:
If the tunnel isn't larger than 20' high, Nameless will toss out a cloudkill, since Six is immune to poison. Does anyone have a wind spell that we could use to push it along faster?

The other three go after Six (I rolled for them since they haven't posted yet), so here goes:

Warned by Six's mental cry of alarm, Nameless steps around the corner, casting a cloudkill which envelops Six and his assailants.

Not that it seems to give the attackers any pause, as they pour off the ceiling onto Six. The warforged's chain snaps out as they come, cracking one's skull and dropping it to the floor, but the others surround Six, some even climbing onto him, tentacles hammering at his armored form. They make no sound as they do so, their mouths gaping silently.

OOC: The swarm moves in and surrounds Six, causing 24 pts of damage.

Initiative order - Six, Gareth, Korm, Luna, Nameless, enemies

I'm presuming that Nameless casts the Cloudkill so that Six can see the area outside it (since you can't see further than 10 feet through it), so Six can use his Shadow Jaunt/Jump, if he wants to get out. Is that what you're doing, Dave? And how far (esp. in relation to the other PCs)? You can get to or behind Nameless, who's the only one visible besides Six (the others are still around the corner).
Back to top Go down
Six of Six

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:54 am

Tport, the standard action one, behind Nameless then move behind the group.
"It's a swarm, blast it."

I think Avi, Mike and Julia are at some beach. not the same one though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:59 pm

OOC: I never got the message reminder in email

Gareth move to stand between Nameless and the swarm, twisting the sword in his arm in an artful and intimidating manner. Sending a telepathic message "Nameless, the first one of these to come by here gets hit"

OOC:
Attack numbers: 22 + 18(roll, threat) = 40. Confirm 22+ 15(roll) = 37
Damage: 4(roll) + 11(str/weapon) + 2(flame)+ 4(sacred) + 7 (holy) = 28 dmg
Crit dmg: 6 (roll) + 11(str/weapon) = 17 dmg
Total dmg: 45 dmg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Six of Six

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:09 pm

Gareth wrote:
OOC: I never got the message reminder in email

The email notice function must be busted.

Gareth wrote:
Gareth move to stand between Nameless and the swarm, twisting the sword in his arm in an artful and intimidating manner. Sending a telepathic message "Nameless, the first one of these to come by here gets hit

Don't stand to close. The forecast is cloudy with a chance of flame strikes. Nameless can get away from a swarm entanglement, you not so much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rowan

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2006-09-16

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:10 pm

Did someone say flame strikes? *Kaboom*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nameless

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:57 am

Shil does Nameless have any idea if this is a pseudonatural-swarm of cloakers? IE. are they just immune to poison or did it fizzle due to SR?

FWIW Nameless does have DR/Magic 10. Unless they are templated with something that gives them DR/Magic or makes their attacks count as magic weapons, it should actually apply for once.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:41 pm

Nameless wrote:
Shil does Nameless have any idea if this is a pseudonatural-swarm of cloakers? IE. are they just immune to poison or did it fizzle due to SR?

No, they're not pseudonatural. And it didn't fizzle, but just weakened them instead of killing them, since I was treating them as a swarm.

Quote :
FWIW Nameless does have DR/Magic 10. Unless they are templated with something that gives them DR/Magic or makes their attacks count as magic weapons, it should actually apply for once.

It would, but alas, see below...

Six disappears in a puff of shadows and reappears behind Nameless, even as Gareth moves ahead of the alienist. Korm steps up next to the alienist and - accompanied by an indignant "HEY!" from Luna, who is unable to get past this group without crushing them - unleashes a flame strike.

The column of divine fire slams down on the chokers, already wounded by Nameless' spell and befuddled by Six's sudden disappearance, and when it clears, all that is left are bodies.

And the increased sound of movement from around the turn in the tunnel ahead, as well as what must be a number of raised voices. The Angels can decipher faint cries of alarm and a few words, such as "intruders" or "attack". There are also other sounds that must be growls or snarls.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   

Back to top Go down

What Lurks Beneath
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next