Shil's Eberron Game

Private board for a 3.5e D&D Eberron game
 
HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 
 

 What Lurks Beneath

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Nameless



Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:01 pm

Admin wrote:
Nameless wrote:
Shil does Nameless have any idea if this is a pseudonatural-swarm of cloakers? IE. are they just immune to poison or did it fizzle due to SR?

No, they're not pseudonatural. And it didn't fizzle, but just weakened them instead of killing them, since I was treating them as a swarm.

So you're saying that a gigantic cloud of bug killer is nearly useless against against a swarm of small creatures who individually would die automatically? Checking things, yeah, that's what the rules say, but I guess that's what I get for trying to apply some logic to D&D rules.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rowan



Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2006-09-16

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:40 pm

Admin wrote:
And the increased sound of movement from around the turn in the tunnel ahead, as well as what must be a number of raised voices. The Angels can decipher faint cries of alarm and a few words, such as "intruders" or "attack". There are also other sounds that must be growls or snarls.
"So much for stealth. I don't know why we bother trying, they always know we're coming anyway" Korm says, ignoring the fact that he was the one that created the explosion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Six of Six



Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:01 pm

Well we can charge around the corner. Or
If one of you can summon something you can see through, send it to see what is beyond the bend. Or
We can stand here and wait.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rowan



Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2006-09-16

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:30 pm

Six of Six wrote:
Well we can charge around the corner. Or
If one of you can summon something you can see through, send it to see what is beyond the bend. Or
We can stand here and wait.
Why give them time to prepare?

Korm moves quickly around the corner, sword in hand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nameless



Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:19 pm

Korm'akhan wrote:
Why give them time to prepare?

Korm moves quickly around the corner, sword in hand.

"Why rush? When we have a nice handy cloud of poison gas in front of us, headed in their direction...

Anyone got a nice fan to move it along a bit?"

OOC. Someone's going to have to burn a dispel to get rid of it anyway. Might as well let it soften them up some.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Six of Six



Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 pm

Keep Korm and the cloud in sight. If the closest to the group gets more than 200 ft away, wave goodbye to the pair and rejoin the group.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Number of posts : 1299
Localisation : RBDM with a heart of gold
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:30 pm

Nameless wrote:
So you're saying that a gigantic cloud of bug killer is nearly useless against against a swarm of small creatures who individually would die automatically? Checking things, yeah, that's what the rules say, but I guess that's what I get for trying to apply some logic to D&D rules.

Close, but not quite (the Cloudkill softened them up, which is why the Flamestrike got them even though they made the save). Think cinematic, not scientific. When you have a bunch of critters in a swarm/mob/whatever, they're more than the sum of their parts. It's the inverse of the "inverse ninja" law.

Korm'akhan wrote:
Why give them time to prepare?

Korm moves quickly around the corner, sword in hand.

The cloudkill is filling the corridor and rolling slowly in the direction of the turn in the tunnel, which it'll reach in half a minute, so you'd have to run through it. But if you have a Delay Poison or Neutralize Poison you could get through it (and stay in it) unaffected.

Nameless wrote:
"Why rush? When we have a nice handy cloud of poison gas in front of us, headed in their direction...

Anyone got a nice fan to move it along a bit?"

OOC. Someone's going to have to burn a dispel to get rid of it anyway. Might as well let it soften them up some.

"Fine," grumbles Luna, still not that pleased about having had no role in the short fight previously. She casts a spell and four small air elementals appear before her. She pronounces some orders in their breathy language and they transform into whirlwinds, rising and following the cloudkill, but not entering it. They angle their bodies, creating a combined breeze which increases the speed of the cloudkill.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://eberrongame.goodbb.net
Nameless



Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:28 pm

Admin wrote:
Close, but not quite (the Cloudkill softened them up, which is why the Flamestrike got them even though they made the save). Think cinematic, not scientific. When you have a bunch of critters in a swarm/mob/whatever, they're more than the sum of their parts. It's the inverse of the "inverse ninja" law.

Yeah, I know that's the case. Physics Is a House Rule and all that. For some reason I just had this mental knee-jerk assumption that it would be the perfect weapon versus a vermin mob.

Admin wrote:
"Fine," grumbles Luna, still not that pleased about having had no role in the short fight previously. She casts a spell and four small air elementals appear before her. She pronounces some orders in their breathy language and they transform into whirlwinds, rising and following the cloudkill, but not entering it. They angle their bodies, creating a combined breeze which increases the speed of the cloudkill.

FWIW, elementals are immune to poison, they don't need to avoid the cloudkill.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Number of posts : 1299
Localisation : RBDM with a heart of gold
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:32 am

Nameless wrote:
FWIW, elementals are immune to poison, they don't need to avoid the cloudkill.

Thanks. I forgot that. So let's say they get to move the Cloudkill along at twice the normal speed. You have three rounds before the cloud will make it around the corner, in case you guys want to do something else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://eberrongame.goodbb.net
Six of Six



Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:58 am

*eh*
"Summon the red shirts" Summoned creatures in team colors who can block, flanking or aid. The more the merrier. Turning probably to Nameless yes they probably wont be able to affect the beasties. Turning probably to Gareth yes they will probably block your path to attack. That's not the point. It is to give us time, about around, to see what the enemy has. For those who survive flanks and aids will add another crinkle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nameless



Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:31 pm

Six of Six wrote:
*eh*
"Summon the red shirts" Summoned creatures in team colors who can block, flanking or aid. The more the merrier. Turning probably to Nameless yes they probably wont be able to affect the beasties. Turning probably to Gareth yes they will probably block your path to attack. That's not the point. It is to give us time, about around, to see what the enemy has. For those who survive flanks and aids will add another crinkle.

The real problem with summoning stuff like you describe is that they don't last long enough to do any useful scouting in most cases. Never mind last long enough to come back and report or act like you're describing in combat. Assuming they are even capable of communicating or are smart enough to give a report or follow any sort of complicated instructions.

SM/SNA spells only last 1rnd/lvl. So that's roughly 7 rnds worth of movment towards the enemy. Assuming they have a 30' move and the terrain permits them to use the run action (x4 move). That's only 840' from us. More likely they will only get a double move in for 420'.

In short if the opposition is close enough for us to be able to do what you're describing, they're in direct fire spell range and can probably already see us.

There are some "horde of summoned" creature spells that Nameless or the Druids could take that do actually last long enough (10min/lv) but they also take 10 min to cast, take another 10 min between waves of creatures and are either 8th or 9th lv spells.

Also low HD creatures will die passing through the Cloudkill.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Six of Six



Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:47 pm

Actually I am expecting an enemy response in 3+ rounds, that's the time the cloudkill clears the bend. The summoned creatures are not for scouting. We are past that. They are to find out what the enemy can do. My guess is the enemy will do 200+ points a round or 100+ points and a condition that will really fuck you up. I am going to find out which it will be. I rather the test subject be a summoned creature than poor Korm or Gareth.
The scouting summoned creatures are useful if the summoner can see through it's eyes. I think there is some druid type power that allows something like that. There might be some sort of way Nameless could link with one of his psedonatural creatures, I don't know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nameless



Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:08 pm

Six of Six wrote:
Actually I am expecting an enemy response in 3+ rounds, that's the time the cloudkill clears the bend. The summoned creatures are not for scouting. We are past that. They are to find out what the enemy can do. My guess is the enemy will do 200+ points a round or 100+ points and a condition that will really fuck you up. I am going to find out which it will be. I rather the test subject be a summoned creature than poor Korm or Gareth.
The scouting summoned creatures are useful if the summoner can see through it's eyes. I think there is some druid type power that allows something like that. There might be some sort of way Nameless could link with one of his psedonatural creatures, I don't know.

Summoned creatures have no special link to the summoner unless the spell states otherwise. None that I know of have any such link. Not even Mage's familiars and Edgar isn't that mobile anyway.

The only thing I can think of, where you can do what you are describing is a hunter spell in World of Warcraft.

Summoning stuff is a good idea, but "It does not mean what you think it does."

You've got the best vision of any of us, are the hardest to detect, immune to poison, have a telepathic link and you excel at both escaping and defending yourself.

Why don't you go find out what's coming. Once we know they're close enough, we'll start summoning stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Six of Six



Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:25 pm

The enemy knows we are here, we heard them. see Shil's post
We have three rounds to do something as in Shil's post. Reading between the lines, something should happen at round four.
The first contact will demostrate how the enemy works. It wont be Six. It should be a summoned creature. It will probalby be Korm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nameless



Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:38 pm

Six of Six wrote:
The enemy knows we are here, we heard them. see Shil's post
We have three rounds to do something as in Shil's post. Reading between the lines, something should happen at round four.
The first contact will demostrate how the enemy works. It wont be Six. It should be a summoned creature. It will probalby be Korm.

Shilsen wrote:
And the increased sound of movement from around the turn in the tunnel ahead, as well as what must be a number of raised voices. The Angels can decipher faint cries of alarm and a few words, such as "intruders" or "attack". There are also other sounds that must be growls or snarls.

All we know is that SOMEWHERE ahead of us we hear "FAINT" cries of alarm. With our listen checks (Luna is a +28 ) they could be a half mile from us.

The CLOUDKILL is 3 rounds from a turn in the corridor. WITH it's speed doubled (20'/rnd), that's 60'. That's a double move for a standard 30' move creature or one round. Even with "physics as a house rule" I'd hope if they were only '60 away from us that we'd have a stronger indication of their presences...

In short, we don't know how far ahead of that the enemy are. Thus a desire to have you do some scouting. So we know they are close enough that it's worth summoning stuff.

Nobody's asking you to actually take any risks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Number of posts : 1299
Localisation : RBDM with a heart of gold
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:28 pm

Nameless wrote:
All we know is that SOMEWHERE ahead of us we hear "FAINT" cries of alarm. With our listen checks (Luna is a +28 ) they could be a half mile from us.

The CLOUDKILL is 3 rounds from a turn in the corridor. WITH it's speed doubled (20'/rnd), that's 60'. That's a double move for a standard 30' move creature or one round. Even with "physics as a house rule" I'd hope if they were only '60 away from us that we'd have a stronger indication of their presences...

A little clarification, then. The closest noises and voices around the corner are about a hundred feet away (and getting closer). The further noises continue from that point and must extend another five hundred feet beyond that point and maybe beyond. Now that the sound is increasing, it's clear that some of the noises you were hearing earlier was simply the movement of hundreds of creatures at a distance. There's got to be an army out there (OOC: No promises about uniforms, however!).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://eberrongame.goodbb.net
Six of Six



Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:28 am

The riposte to Six's press." There are four down there already. Plus Korm."

I was going to ask for distances, but Shil beat me to it. This follows our sensing range through out the campaign. When we have been able to make things out clearly they have been hundreds of feet away or less, it is a GM feature.

Six recovers the shadow jaunt The maneuvers for swordsage are the two saves, the two t-ports and the invisible turn. For the warblade what he knows is whats readied. "I fully expect to be in battle in a few seconds."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Number of posts : 1299
Localisation : RBDM with a heart of gold
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:00 pm

Since we've got just over a fortnight till I'm back and we'll likely only get through a bit more by then, I'll pick things up from this point when we play face-to face.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://eberrongame.goodbb.net
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: What Lurks Beneath   

Back to top Go down
 
What Lurks Beneath
Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» Threats Beneath The Surface

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shil's Eberron Game :: Apocalypse Now?-
Jump to: