Shil's Eberron Game

Private board for a 3.5e D&D Eberron game

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Hanging with Rhashaak

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Luna

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2006-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Hanging with Rhashaak   Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:50 pm

Well, since i fly and we can't pilot an airship... i don't think i need/want a carpet.

Man... did that dragon get whackier since we came back?
He seemed so reasonable before we left!

Maybe he caught something while tangling with the stuff through the portal.
Maybe we should kill him now.
I've never killed a sorta-god before.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leonis

Number of posts : 746
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Hanging with Rhashaak   Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:23 pm

Drop summons and 2 rounds later drop in crazy AOE, then 2 rounds later we drop in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nameless

Number of posts : 307

PostSubject: Re: Hanging with Rhashaak   Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:56 am

Luna wrote:
Man... did that dragon get whackier since we came back?
He seemed so reasonable before we left!

Maybe he caught something while tangling with the stuff through the portal.

Nope he was always like this, we just didn't talk to him long enough or about things that started him raving.

Luna wrote:
Maybe we should kill him now.
I've never killed a sorta-god before.

Actually, there was that fallen angel Zokar that was praying on the Cyran refugees, who thought he was a god. We killed him, does that count?

Our track record against Shil Special Dragons isn't inspiring, besides we burned a lot of our best stuff taking down the portal.

We'll just have to add him to the "To Do List".

Last edited by Nameless on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nameless

PostSubject: Re: Hanging with Rhashaak   Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:55 am

Since Nameless now has widen spell and the hero's feast will make us all immune to poison, I'm thinking we can drop a cloudkill on ourselves for cover (80' diameter) and to hinder any melee attackers, plus clearing out any small fry that rush us.

I'm thinking Korm and Luna should each have at least one Earthquake (druid 8 ). <Here's your big chance to cut loose Julia!> If they can put one in their Spell Staves as well, that would give us 400 pts of damage to the Ziggurat, which should seriously damage it and hopefully collapse it at least partially on anyone in it. If Nameless then chucks in a cloudkill, that should finish off anyone trapped inside who isn't immune to poison. Earthquake is a long ranged spell (up to 1200' if they burn the beads). So we can start pounding the ziggurat with it the moment we get through the rock.

So I'm figuring that the rest of us run interference for Korm and Luna, while they concentrate on leveling the Ziggurat. I'll have Nameless put up a Globe of Invulnerability just before we go in, which will block out any spells 4th lvl or lower. Should help cut down on getting hit by any maximized spells and a good chunk of the offensive spells. But it will mean that Luna can't be in her tendriculos form, since it's a 10' radius.

We need to know that the path to the cavern is not blocked off before we send in the strike team. Hopefully a Commune with Nature and Find the Path should give us that information. But if not I'm planning on having Nameless summon a couple of small air elementals, since they can move very quickly.

Shil, Nameless will use a message to contact the Planetar, to see if he's willing to take a couple Earthquakes for the assault. Doesn't he have Destruction and War for his Domains? Earthquake is the 8th lvl domain spell for destruction.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Shil why don't you figure out ahead of time (make the rolls for sweeping up creatures in the whirlwinds and damages) what will happen once we send in the strike team. I think the only question at this point, is how we time it relative to us hitting the cavern.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1299

PostSubject: Re: Hanging with Rhashaak   Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:18 pm

Nameless wrote:
Ah, it will take more time then, but that can save an 8th lvl spell. Which is never a bad thing. Can he do a "double move" while tunneling?

Yes, he can.

Quote :
I'm thinking Korm and Luna should each have at least one Earthquake (druid 8 ). <Here's your big chance to cut loose Julia!> If they can put one in their Spell Staves as well, that would give us 400 pts of damage to the Ziggurat, which should seriously damage it and hopefully collapse it at least partially on anyone in it.

Actually, 400 pts of damage would barely scratch it. A 3 ft thick wall of hewn stone needs 540 hp of damage to get through it, and that's with 15 hp/inch of thickness. And this ziggurat has at least 5 ft thick walls, and is harder than adamantine, which means it has over 40 hp/inch of thickness.

Quote :
Shil, Nameless will use a message to contact the Planetar, to see if he's willing to take a couple Earthquakes for the assault. Doesn't he have Destruction and War for his Domains? Earthquake is the 8th lvl domain spell for destruction.

Yes, he has Destruction and War.

Quote :
Shil why don't you figure out ahead of time (make the rolls for sweeping up creatures in the whirlwinds and damages) what will happen once we send in the strike team. I think the only question at this point, is how we time it relative to us hitting the cavern.

Will do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://eberrongame.goodbb.net
Nameless

PostSubject: Re: Hanging with Rhashaak   Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:28 pm

Admin wrote:
Actually, 400 pts of damage would barely scratch it. A 3 ft thick wall of hewn stone needs 540 hp of damage to get through it, and that's with 15 hp/inch of thickness. And this ziggurat has at least 5 ft thick walls, and is harder than adamantine, which means it has over 40 hp/inch of thickness.

Well that makes the earthquake plan pretty much pointless, since it's going to require at least 24 earthquakes to bring it down, probably more with it's healing. Korm and Luna only get 2 8th lv spells each, right? With Korm using one for Mind Blank, that's a minimum of 8 days. Nameless can hurry things up a bit by loading up with Disintegrates, but I suspect it's going to be resistant to those as well.

Plan B suggestions?

Probably still worthwhile having one or two though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hanging with Rhashaak   Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:16 pm

Nameless wrote:
Well that makes the earthquake plan pretty much pointless, since it's going to require at least 24 earthquakes to bring it down, probably more with it's healing. Korm and Luna only get 2 8th lv spells each, right? With Korm using one for Mind Blank, that's a minimum of 8 days. Nameless can hurry things up a bit by loading up with Disintegrates, but I suspect it's going to be resistant to those as well.

Plan B suggestions?

Considering what you've seen of the ziggurat, you're pretty sure that quick destruction is out of the question. You're going to need at least a day and maybe two to be able to focus on destroying it, using lots of disintegrates, summoned creatures which can do some damage (huge earth elementals, for example), earthquakes, Korm and Gareth and Six beating on it with adamantine weapons for a while, etc. So you'd need to clear out the area of enemies and then focus on taking it down.

Quote :
Probably still worthwhile having one or two though.

Very likely.
Back to top Go down
Nameless

PostSubject: Re: Hanging with Rhashaak   Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:31 pm

Admin wrote:
Considering what you've seen of the ziggurat, you're pretty sure that quick destruction is out of the question. You're going to need at least a day and maybe two to be able to focus on destroying it, using lots of disintegrates, summoned creatures which can do some damage (huge earth elementals, for example), earthquakes, Korm and Gareth and Six beating on it with adamantine weapons for a while, etc. So you'd need to clear out the area of enemies and then focus on taking it down.

Summoned monsters are going to be basically useless. Having to bypass a hardness of 20 means that even my best summons are going to be inflicting maybe 10 pts a hit on average and that's halved for objects. With a summons lasting 16 rnds and at least 2,400 hp per 5' block, that will take forever to destroy even one 5' cube. Korm, Gareth and Six can do significantly more since they are bypassing the hardness, but even with that it's going to take a LOONNNGG time to destroy a 5' cube. I forgot about Power attack. That does make this slightly less futile, but not a whole lot less futile.

Loading up on disintegrates at least gets a 10' cube, per spell. Nameless would max out at 11 of those a day. That's still probably at least 4-6 days worth of effort even with that many.

Polymorphing people into Delvers might actually be the quickest way, at least assuming it isn't immune to acid. Since that can last for at least an hour and they "burrow" relatively quickly (though obviously it would be slower through the Ziggurat).

Roughly how high up was the roof of the cavern btw? I was basically wondering if we had enough distance that we could just plummet for a round while casting spells and then kick in the fly to stop ourselves the next round.

Holy Aura would be a great buff if the Planetar will take it.

Once he shows up, Nameless is specifically going to ask him to be careful with the Holy Words and such. Since most of us are vulnerable to it and we'll have a bunch of summons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hanging with Rhashaak   Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:22 am

Nameless wrote:
Summoned monsters are going to be basically useless. Having to bypass a hardness of 20 means that even my best summons are going to be inflicting maybe 10 pts a hit on average and that's halved for objects. With a summons lasting 16 rnds and at least 2,400 hp per 5' block, that will take forever to destroy even one 5' cube. Korm, Gareth and Six can do significantly more since they are bypassing the hardness, but even with that it's going to take a LOONNNGG time to destroy a 5' cube. I forgot about Power attack. That does make this slightly less futile, but not a whole lot less futile.

Some of the above would go differently, but in short - yeah, it would take a long time.

Quote :
Loading up on disintegrates at least gets a 10' cube, per spell. Nameless would max out at 11 of those a day. That's still probably at least 4-6 days worth of effort even with that many.

Depends on where you're hitting it. Taking out 11 10' cubes, for example, in the right place, would bring down part of the structure even if it didn't bring the entire thing down.

Quote :
Roughly how high up was the roof of the cavern btw? I was basically wondering if we had enough distance that we could just plummet for a round while casting spells and then kick in the fly to stop ourselves the next round.

It's only 200 ft above the ground, so plummeting wouldn't work. But if you have Fly spells up (plus Nameless' Overland Flight), you can cast a spell and catch yourself before you hit the ground.

Quote :
Holy Aura would be a great buff if the Planetar will take it.

Once he shows up, Nameless is specifically going to ask him to be careful with the Holy Words and such. Since most of us are vulnerable to it and we'll have a bunch of summons.

Okay.
Back to top Go down
Nameless

PostSubject: Re: Hanging with Rhashaak   Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:40 pm

Can we get in a Commune and 2 Divination in from some source before the assault?

The Divination question I'd like to ask is

"What are the most most important defenders of the ziggurat to kill?"

Followed by

"what is the best way to kill them?"

Commune questions

1) Is the highest level spell the creatures in the cavern can cast greater than 6th valence?

If yes, ask about 8th valence, if that's no ask if can cast 8th

2) can any of the creatures we will face use maximize spell?

3) Is protection energy Sonic important for defense
ditto for Fire, Acid, electrical, cold

If we have any left, I'll think of some more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hanging with Rhashaak   Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:26 pm

Nameless wrote:
Can we get in a Commune and 2 Divination in from some source before the assault?

I believe you were teleporting back to Thrane with the blackscales, so Jaela would find you some priest who could do the divinations.

Quote :
The Divination question I'd like to ask is

"What are the most most important defenders of the ziggurat to kill?"

Followed by

"what is the best way to kill them?"

The answer is "The primary defenders of the ziggurat are veiled from divination by its power, as you are from them. But they expect your coming, just as you know they await you. Outside the ziggurat, giant and dwarf, beast and weed, are ready to defend it. Use your allies and minions to clear you a way to the ziggurat, and husband your strength, since you will need all your might to prevail."

You know more than one divination about the same action won't yield any more info. Do you still want to do a Commune? If so, Jaela would cast it for you.
Back to top Go down
Nameless

PostSubject: Re: Hanging with Rhashaak   Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:41 pm

A thought just occurred to me. Since Druids get their spells back at a set time, can we have Korm and Luna dump a bunch of summons and send them in and then wait 15 min for the set time and then memorize new spells? Or was there a house rule to prohibit this sort of thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hanging with Rhashaak   Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:45 pm

Nameless wrote:
A thought just occurred to me. Since Druids get their spells back at a set time, can we have Korm and Luna dump a bunch of summons and send them in and then wait 15 min for the set time and then memorize new spells? Or was there a house rule to prohibit this sort of thing.

Nah, that's a little too cheesy for me.
Back to top Go down
Nameless

PostSubject: Re: Hanging with Rhashaak   Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:40 pm

What do we get from Rhashaak? And how many blackscales?

I'm thinking rather than burn Mass buff spells, we'll just pick up some potions of Bulls Str and Bear's endurance.

Was there a recharge time for the Dispel Magic Pillars? Or did they just pop anything that went through?

Note to self, the Staff of the Woodlands we got from Kallionaxis can do SNA VI, which will summon Huge Elementals. Have Korm summon 4 elementals with it, just before we go in. Since it uses his caster level they should be around long enough to be useful.

Hmmm, we got like 20k a pop from the stuff we sold fron the Yuan-ti right? If we pick up a Staff of Transmutation (65k), we could get 16 Disintegrates out of it, before burning it up and that should be enough to massively damage the Ziggurat according to Shil.

You guys willing to spend the cash for that? It would mean we didn't have to stick around to demolish it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hanging with Rhashaak   Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:56 pm

Nameless wrote:
What do we get from Rhashaak?

Yet to be decided. Working out stuff to give you guys at this level is a bit of a pain.

Quote :
And how many blackscales?

Six.

Quote :
I'm thinking rather than burn Mass buff spells, we'll just pick up some potions of Bulls Str and Bear's endurance.

Would make sense, esp. since I never allowed any of the Mass buff spells. Or Mass spells in general.

Quote :
Was there a recharge time for the Dispel Magic Pillars? Or did they just pop anything that went through?

Ten minutes. Here's the relevant bit from the story hour:

"Now that he is in range Nameless confirms that they are heavily magical. Experimentation reveals that they detect and react to certain things in the area. Three of the primary things they detect are anything flying more than fifty feet off the ground, anything invisible, and anything with strong magical auras on it. In each case, they react with a bright purple flash and target the triggering creature or creatures with a dispel magic from each pillar. This ability evidently resets after ten minutes. Curious to see if the effect is triggered by spellcasting, Luna casts a spell in their vicinity, but the pillars do not respond."
Back to top Go down
Nameless

PostSubject: Re: Hanging with Rhashaak   Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:39 pm

Admin wrote:
Yet to be decided. Working out stuff to give you guys at this level is a bit of a pain.

I offered suggestions... The magic syphon is out of the MIC.

Quote :
Would make sense, esp. since I never allowed any of the Mass buff spells. Or Mass spells in general.

No Mass cure spells?

Quote :
Now that he is in range Nameless confirms that they are heavily magical. Experimentation reveals that they detect and react to certain things in the area. Three of the primary things they detect are anything flying more than fifty feet off the ground, anything invisible, and anything with strong magical auras on it. In each case, they react with a bright purple flash and target the triggering creature or creatures with a dispel magic from each pillar. This ability evidently resets after ten minutes. Curious to see if the effect is triggered by spellcasting, Luna casts a spell in their vicinity, but the pillars do not respond."

Thanks. So we should have one of the blackscales fly through the pillars to trigger it so the elementals can get past to the ziggurat. We'll get that one a potion of invis to use, just to make sure.

Nameless will have "Chain of Eyes" running on one of his elementals (they're tougher) so we know what goes on with the strike force. Should give us some valuable intel at least. Also it only burns a second level slot for him.

The Planetar can benefit from a Barkskin and a Mage Armor can't he Shil? That would bump his AC up to a 41.

BTW, do you want me to roll for how many elementals Korm and Luna's summons get?

BTW, Nameless can't use the Staff of the Woodlands right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hanging with Rhashaak   Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:15 am

Nameless wrote:
I offered suggestions... The magic syphon is out of the MIC.

Duly noted.

Quote :
No Mass cure spells?

I meant non-core. The PHB ones are fine, but I generally don't care for the Mass spells from the SC and elsewhere.

Quote :
Thanks. So we should have one of the blackscales fly through the pillars to trigger it so the elementals can get past to the ziggurat. We'll get that one a potion of invis to use, just to make sure.

Nameless will have "Chain of Eyes" running on one of his elementals (they're tougher) so we know what goes on with the strike force. Should give us some valuable intel at least. Also it only burns a second level slot for him.

Okay.

Quote :
The Planetar can benefit from a Barkskin and a Mage Armor can't he Shil? That would bump his AC up to a 41.

Yes, both of those would work on him.

Quote :
BTW, do you want me to roll for how many elementals Korm and Luna's summons get?

Sure. Saves time and lets me work out some stuff in advance.

Quote :

No. Six can, however, in case you want that used while Korm and Luna are busy casting/doing other things.
Back to top Go down
Six of Six

Number of posts : 257

PostSubject: Re: Hanging with Rhashaak   Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:42 pm

From the above posts this is going to be an assault and hold.Assuming the attack goes well (for the PCs) we will need to hold the city and caves Is there any friendly armies in the area to be use as follow up forces.

Last edited by Six of Six on Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nameless

PostSubject: Re: Hanging with Rhashaak   Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:50 pm

Quote :
Quote :

No. Six can, however, in case you want that used while Korm and Luna are busy casting/doing other things.

Since spells cast with a Staff can benefit from feats and caster level of the user, I was thinking if Nameless could use it, the summons they'd benefit from Augment Summons. But on second reading it looks like they may only benefit from feats that affect save DCs.

Six of Six wrote:
What was the method to destory the zigguart? The bits I remember are the zigguart is particularly hard and earthquake spell wouldn't destroy it. From our maps and models, what is the best (better) way to bust this thing and how long would it take.

Nameless loading up with nothing but disintegrates in his higher level spell slots. Shil did say that 11 (his max) sufficiently well placed, would be sufficient to seriously damage the Ziggurat, perhaps wreck it. That would take basically 11 rnds, but it would take an new day's memorization to do that.

It occurs to me that if we mount the assault shortly before midnight, we could then rest for 8 hrs memorize and then pull out. It would at least minimize the time we spent there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nameless

PostSubject: Re: Hanging with Rhashaak   Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:10 pm

Got a 3 and a 1. So total of 8 elementals then.

Have Nameless's elementals save their whirlwinds til they get to the cavern since they have the highest str and thus ability to sweep up people.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hanging with Rhashaak   Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:28 pm

Nameless wrote:
Got a 3 and a 1. So total of 8 elementals then.

What category of elementals are these? And how many spells does that take from Luna and Nameless?

Quote :
Have Nameless's elementals save their whirlwinds til they get to the cavern since they have the highest str and thus ability to sweep up people.

Will do. Could you pop up the relevant stats for the elementals here (since Nameless' ones are stronger) so I have them for easy reference?
Back to top Go down
Nameless

PostSubject: Re: Hanging with Rhashaak   Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:49 am

Admin wrote:
What category of elementals are these? And how many spells does that take from Luna and Nameless?

Bugger!

Never mind the plan is shot and pointless.

Neither Korm nor Luna have extend spell. That kills that idea.

I give up, nobody else gives a rats ass. screw it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hanging with Rhashaak   Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:42 am

Nameless wrote:
Bugger!

Never mind the plan is shot and pointless.

Neither Korm nor Luna have extend spell. That kills that idea.

Doesn't that just mean you need to be nearer to the cavern before sending the elementals in? Or Korm's and Luna's can clear out the tunnels before you reach the cavern?

Quote :
I give up, nobody else gives a rats ass. screw it.

I think they care, but alas, just aren't much for detailed plans.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hanging with Rhashaak   

Back to top Go down

Hanging with Rhashaak
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2