Shil's Eberron Game

Private board for a 3.5e D&D Eberron game

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Planning in general

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Nameless

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Planning in general   Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:50 am

Did we have a plan for when the next game was? If so I'd like to avoid this Sat if possible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1299

PostSubject: Re: Planning in general   Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:06 pm

Nameless wrote:
Did we have a plan for when the next game was? If so I'd like to avoid this Sat if possible.

We were shooting for next weekend, I believe (30rd-31st).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://eberrongame.goodbb.net
Rowan

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2006-09-16

PostSubject: Re: Planning in general   Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:28 pm

Admin wrote:
We were shooting for next weekend, I believe (30rd-31st).
Playing in the evening fits my schedule well too, if that's easier to do and gives us enough time for what Shil has planned.

BTW, sorry for not giving you a ride home last time, Dave. Normally I would, but I was exhausted and not feeling well and just wanted to get home to bed ASAP.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nameless

Number of posts : 307

PostSubject: Re: Planning in general   Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:10 am

Six of Six wrote:

As it stands we have three task.
1. Do collectivly 1400 hit point to 45 AC in four rounds.
2. Keep up number 1 while being subject to the snake and attendants.
3. Stop the snake from leaving as 1 and 2 are successful.
At our present abilities I don't see it, maybe the ooze idea. So I'm expecting new abilities relative to the snake to make that fight possible. We just have to survive the prelims.

Assuming the monoliths use longspears (2h) for the extra Str damage + 2x Power Attack. I believe at 3 size increments larger than medium do 4d8+27+(bane)2d6+6 or an average of 58 a hit. Now they'll have an Attack Bonus of +40 +6 (bane wpn+GMW) + 2 (bulls str), they'll have a total attack bonus of +48, which means they should be able to power attack for a full five pts and not have it overly affect their chances of hitting the worm. Which would bring up the total to an average of 68 a hit.

Shil they normally get two attacks around, would they get that many with a weapon? If so that means 136 per monolith per round, with four of them, that would be 544 per round, before Gareth and the Trolls kick in.

This does sound doable.

Last edited by Nameless on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Planning in general   Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:40 am

Nameless wrote:
Assuming the monoliths use longspears (2h) for the extra Str damage + 2x Power Attack. I believe at 3 size increments larger than medium do 4d8+27+(bane)2d6+6 or an average of 58 a hit. Now they'll have an Attack Bonus of +40 +6 (bane wpn+GMW) + 2 (bulls str), they'll have a total attack bonus of +48, which means they should be able to power attack for a full five pts and not have it overly affect their chances of hitting the worm. Which would bring up the total to an average of 68 a hit.

Shil they normally get two attacks around, would they get that many with a weapon? If so that means 136 per monolith per round, with four of them, that would be 580 per round, before Gareth and the Trolls kick in.

This does sound doable.

Interesting idea, but there are some serious issues you'd have to deal with. The monoliths are completely nonproficient with weapons, and they'd get only one attack a round with them. Plus you'd have to get four monolith-sized longspears made, carry them with you, enchant them (I presume with spells/infusions), summon the monoliths, instruct them to use the spears (which would take at least a round, due to the fact that they don't use weapons), and then get them to attack - all within the time you have (a couple of minutes, with the Summon Elemental Monolith lasting 1 rd/level) and with the casters concentrating on maintaining the spells.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would require a lot of coordination and lucky circumstances to pull it off, and there's a fair chance of enemies taking advantage of the situation.
Back to top Go down
Rowan

PostSubject: Re: Planning in general   Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:54 am

Shil, the SRD says that humanoid-shaped elementals are proficient with simple weapons. Are you making an exception for the Monoliths?

As for size, we were discussing getting weapons with the Sizing weapon quality from the MIC.

If they only get one attack, we can still use Haste on them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Planning in general   Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:10 am

Korm'akhan wrote:
Shil, the SRD says that humanoid-shaped elementals are proficient with simple weapons. Are you making an exception for the Monoliths?

Yup. I'd say it's questionable whether the regular elementals count as humanoid-shaped anyway, but in the case of the monoliths I'm certainly treating them as non-proficient.

Quote :
As for size, we were discussing getting weapons with the Sizing weapon quality from the MIC.

If they only get one attack, we can still use Haste on them.

That would make things a lot more doable, certainly, but I'd still consider it a plan which requires a lot of variables to kick in to work properly. So, considering you have a lot of smart PCs, I figured I should mention some of the issues, just so you don't feel you got hosed if you try it and it doesn't work out.
Back to top Go down
Rowan

PostSubject: Re: Planning in general   Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:20 am

It would be a lot simpler to use gauntlets instead of weapons, to add the extra properties to the monoliths' slam attacks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Planning in general   Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:33 am

Korm'akhan wrote:
It would be a lot simpler to use gauntlets instead of weapons, to add the extra properties to the monoliths' slam attacks.

Great. Now I'm imagining an elemental slipping on a pair of boxing gloves before taking on the worm (preferably with "Eye of the Tiger" playing in the background).

More seriously, I'm really going to say "No" to putting on gauntlets. I don't visualize something like an elemental monolith as having hands to put gauntlets on, being more like a walking mountain with two giant lumps of rock for arms.

Incidentally, even if they put on gauntlets their damage would suck, since they'd be using the base damage of the gauntlets (which is something like 1d8 for a gargantuan gauntlet) to replace their own normal damage.
Back to top Go down
Rowan

PostSubject: Re: Planning in general   Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Admin wrote:
Great. Now I'm imagining an elemental slipping on a pair of boxing gloves before taking on the worm (preferably with "Eye of the Tiger" playing in the background).
Have I mentioned that whenever Korm casts a buff spell, his "somatic component" is a montage? He's more of a Metallica or AC/DC man though.

Quote :
More seriously, I'm really going to say "No" to putting on gauntlets. I don't visualize something like an elemental monolith as having hands to put gauntlets on, being more like a walking mountain with two giant lumps of rock for arms.
Since the one nameless is Gating in is a real creature, could he be trained in the use of a weapon beforehand? I think a mace would be a better choice than a spear; earth elementals have more of an affinity for big metal things smashing than thin pointy things stabbing.

We also have to consider whether all this effort is worth it for at most two or three rounds of good damage. The weak link in the plan is the GMW spell cast on the weapon, which will quickly fizzle around the worm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Six of Six

Number of posts : 257

PostSubject: Re: Planning in general   Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:09 am

In our approach to Muar-Tar it seamed to react to us at about 1,000 ft, popping up from it's coiled state, searching then moving toward us. Was this flavor text or a clue. Is it's detection range of us a thousand ft? An implication is the silver flame is unbound to the beastie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Planning in general   Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:32 pm

Six of Six wrote:
In our approach to Muar-Tar it seamed to react to us at about 1,000 ft, popping up from it's coiled state, searching then moving toward us. Was this flavor text or a clue. Is it's detection range of us a thousand ft? An implication is the silver flame is unbound to the beastie.

You guys were actually well over a mile from Mual-Tar when it reacted, since the main aberration camp (city?) is over 2 miles across, and Mual-Tar was in the center. And you were 1000 feet beyond the outer wall.

It did seem to only notice you when you got that close and took a moment to work out your direction. Perhaps the Silver Flame connection isn't quite the same from its end. It was definitely glowing (a lot!) with silver light, so it presumably does have the connection to the Flame.
Back to top Go down
Six of Six

PostSubject: Re: Planning in general   Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:26 pm

Admin wrote:

You guys were actually well over a mile from Mual-Tar when it reacted, since the main aberration camp (city?)

R'lyeh Newydd

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Six of Six

PostSubject: Re: Planning in general   Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:14 pm

Admin wrote:

You guys were actually well over a mile from Mual-Tar when it reacted, since the main aberration camp (city?) is over 2 miles across, and Mual-Tar was in the center. And you were 1000 feet beyond the outer wall.

It did seem to only notice you when you got that close and took a moment to work out your direction. Perhaps the Silver Flame connection isn't quite the same from its end. It was definitely glowing (a lot!) with silver light, so it presumably does have the connection to the Flame.

Was Mual-Tar's detection of us through the link? Where we a mile and a half away from it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Planning in general   Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:29 pm

Six of Six wrote:
Was Mual-Tar's detection of us through the link?

You can't say for sure, but it seems very likely. All of you, as far as you can tell, are perpetually aware of the presence of others in the link, but only pick up distance when you concentrate. And you don't notice anything different when someone else is concentrating unless they try to use the link to affect you in some way (communication, spellcasting, etc).

Quote :
Where we a mile and a half away from it?

Yes. Approximately.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Planning in general   

Back to top Go down

Planning in general
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shil's Eberron Game :: The Final Countdown-
Jump to: